Thursday, June 14, 2012

Tortillas - Gorditas and Flacas



I've been trying to be better at making homemade stuff, I've been practicing on canning things and trying to be better at making breads.  Tortillas have always been so hard for me to make.  My mom's tortillas are always so good and  I have no idea why, but my always turn out really, really bad! I've been tweaking a few things in my mothers recipe and now mine taste just as amazing as hers.  So here is the recipe with my add ins.  PS. Gorditas are the fluffier/thicker tortillas and Flacas are the thin ones.  I really enjoy the thin ones so I usually make that recipe.


Gorditas
3c. flour
2tsp. salt(more or less to taste)
1tsp. baking powder
1 T. shortening
1 c. warm water


Flacas
3c. flour
2tsp. salt (more or less to taste)
1 T. shortening
1 c. warm water

Mix ingredients to a soft dough (not sticky, you can add a little more water or flour as needed) divide one ball at a time.  I make mine a little bit bigger than a golf ball.  [my moms recipe says to roll out the gorditas without flour and the flacas with flour.  I usually only make the flacas so you might have to play around a little]   Roll out on a lightly floured surface as thin as you can make them.  [my moms recipe also says to cook them on a dry pan but I really like the taste and texture using oil]  On a pan (tortilla pans and cast iron pans work best but any will do) heated on medium, pour a little olive oil on the pan to heat for a second then add the tortilla.  I turn my tortilla in a circle for a few turns to evenly distribute the oil, then let cook until it starts to bubble.



Flip over the tortilla and let cook for a little longer until it is cooked through and has some color, take off the pan and put in between two paper towels or in a tortilla warmer until you use them .  Then reapeat until all dough is gone making sure to add oil as needed.  This recipe usually make 10-12 tortillas.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment